Habits for a Healthy Life
There are many factors that are important to ensure those living with mental illness live the best life they can. Below are a few habits that will help keep those living with mental illness stable.
The brain likes consistency! A predictable pattern of sleep, diet, and exercise is essential. Failure to stabilize these patterns may well precipitate or worsen the illness or interfere with significant treatment.
1. Getting enough sleep - many people with mental illness require more sleep than the average person with a predictable time of sleep and awakening.
2. Avoid drugs and alcohol - it is very common for those with mental illness to use drugs and alcohol to self medicate. This can be very dangerous and ultimately it does more damage than good.
3. Limit or eliminate caffeine - caffeine has been shown to exacerbate certain mental illnesses especially anxiety. If you can't eliminate caffeine all together at least limit your caffeine, soda, chocolate usage, especially 4 hours before bedtime.
4. Daily affirmations - it is very important for those with mental illness to fill their mind with positive thoughts. Daily affirmations are a great way to start your day in a positive way. These reprogram our subconscious thoughts and impact our perception of life.
5. Taking medication as directed - medication is a very important tool for many people that have mental illness. For the medication to be most beneficial it is important to take it as directed.
6. Exercise - exercise can prevent depression and can be part of a successful treatment program.